15 November, 2009

...sitting on a broken comment system any more.


OK. First off, I want to apologize to all the thousands upon thousands of you that I'm sure have been trying to comment since I put up the new template but were unable. I'm always logged in when I check these things, and as such, did not have to attempt the word verification when I was testing comments. Thanks to those of you that were kind enough to mention that you were unable to perform the word verification due to the layout acting funny. Rather than monkey with my HTML, I opted to remove the word verification and require comments to be approved by me. This may chance, as I just realized while visiting Junket Juice that I can have commenting happen in a popup, which might be a better choice. Either way, however, it should work now.


So, sometimes things irritate me. They aren't big enough for me to write an entire post about, but I'd like to put them out there anyway. So here goes:


    * If you're going to say, "I don't want my tax money going to that crap," you had better be ready to stop paying your taxes if "that crap" becomes something your tax money goes toward. If you aren't, you're just whining. I don't care for that.
    * Little Caesar's just upped the price of their "Hot-N-Ready" pizzas from $5 to $5.55. And their Cra-Z-Bread (probably not the proper spelling) went from $1 to $1.49, and the sauce went up, too. WTF??? I used to walk in there with a ten dollar bill and get a pizza, two breads and a sauce! Now I have to cut an order of bread out! Screw you, economy!
    * My wife can't just pick a parking space and pull in. She will go up and down the rows for five minutes to get a spot that involves thirty feet less walking. I love her. I really do. But just park the damned car already!
    * Living in my parents' basement, while loads and loads of fun already, has the distinct disadvantage of Aidan sleeping upstairs. This really doesn't cause too many problems, except that I swear I have to move my end of the monitor around every single night so that it will stop buzzing. I don't get it. Maybe someone puts a metal dish down directly in between them every night just to see how many times they can make me run up and down the f-ing stairs? Maybe the dog thinks the radio waves feel nice and lies down right in them? Not sure what's going on here, but it's pissing me off.
    * Also, since we're on the topic of living with the parents, I understand that grandparents like to spend time with their grandchildren. I really do. But if you'd like to play with him, just ask us if he could come upstairs for a while. Don't walk more heavily when you walk past his room and he's napping. That just wakes him up from his nap. Then I have a crabby child to deal with, and you aren't going to hang out with him, because I can hear you stomping around.


I think that's it. I don't think there's anything else that's been getting on my nerves the last few days. But, in order to live a balanced life, I'm gonna give some (maybe not equal, but some) time to things that have made me happy recently.


    * Aidan likes good music.We don't have to listen to crappy annoying toddler music in my car, no sir. We get The Vincent Black Shadow and Ben Folds. He tells me when he likes a song ("Daddy I like dis song!") and sings along to the refrain of The Luckiest.
    * I finished Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time in far less time than I've been finishing games lately. This might seem like a bad thing, but it's actualy good, because it means I've been making myself find time to do the things I love (ie play video games). I may write up a little article on it soon, if I don't get too wrapped up in...
    * New Super Mario Bros Wii!!! This game is awesome! You might think that playing a semi-cooperative/semi-competetive 2-D Mario game would be the closest thing in the world to a perfect afternoon. You'd be absolutely right. I played through World 1 with my wife about two hours ago, and while she (a non-gamer) started to get bored with it by the end, she definitely sees how much more fun it would be with two more friends and some hard liquor. And I can't get enough 2-D Mario, so you know I'm happy.
    * Finally, bad movies. I watched a few of them over the last few days. Usually bad movies are just that. But sometimes it's nice to have a poorly written/acted/directed piece of film on in the background while you do other stuff. That way you can pop your head up every few minutes and know exactly what's going on. It's a distraction, and sometimes that's all I'm looking for. Thank you Autopsy, in particular.


That's it, for now. I'll be around. Drop me a line, now that the comment system works again!

4 comments:

Ann said...

If you want a site that will make you happy every single day, check out www.1000awesomethings.com. It makes me laugh on a daily basis.

Boxcar said...

lol very nice. I believe I've been sent there before, but I'd forgotten all about it. :) Thanks for suggesting it. :)

Junket said...

First of all - I love Ben Folds but more importantly You should know that Super Mario is the ONLY video game (old school NES) that I EVER liked. I've been toying with the idea of a Wii and that just pushed me into the right direction!

Boxcar said...

@Junket - Ben Folds is easily one of my top five artists ever. And "The Luckiest" is probably my favorite of his songs, although that's a hard distinction to make. "Army" is right up there, too. Along with "Gracie", his "Bitches Ain't Shit" cover, and "Cigarette". If you don't know The Vincent Black Shadow, they kind of remind me of a slightly darker Save Ferris/early No Doubt. Make sure you give them a listen if that sounds like your kind of thing.

So far as Mario goes, don't let this discourage you, but the game is hard. Like Super Mario Bros 1 hard. It is also, however, spectacular and awesome. As long as you're picking up a Wii ( :P ), you should give Super Mario Galaxy a try, it's 3D, but it's one of the better Mario games as far as I'm concerned. And there's a ton of more casual games on the Wii (along with cheap downloads of the original NES Mario games), so your money would be well spent. :)