31 October, 2009

It's Halloween!


It's Halloween!  My favorite holiday, hands down.  Normally, I'd be having a party tonight, but as I live at my parents house this year, that's not going to happen.  Diane and I went out to the bar last night with a couple of friends.  As we're old, we started fairly early, around eight, and ended around midnight.  The real crazies didn't even start showing up until about ten-thirty.  One way or another, it's my favorite holiday.

I love it because you don't have to be yourself.  A lot of people out there aren't happy with themselves, and this gives them a day (or a weekend) when they can dress like someone else, and be someone else, and it's ok.  It's expected, even.  And even if you love yourself, and you are totally happy with your life, and you wouldn't change anything for the world, it's still fun to be someone else, isn't it?  And maybe you really, really like Star Trek, or Star Wars, or Battlestar Galactica, or some other show that you'd be shunned for liking as much as you do.  Halloween lets you dress up as your favorite character, because God knows there's nothing else you'd rather do, and do it in public without getting publicly ridiculed.


I love it because I think everyone has a bit of a dark side, and, while not everyone chooses to let it show on All Hallow's Eve, some of us do.  Some of us go all out, and we go with the pale makeup and dark eyeshadow and the black clothes and all the fake blood and whatnot.  Some of us hang monsters from our trees, and build miniature graveyards on our lawn, and cover our trees with cobwebs.  Some of us buy skulls and creepy statues and bats and more cobwebs and put them all over our living room.

Of course, I love it because I love ladies.  A lot of them take it a bit too far, though.  Ladies, are you aware that you can be sexy without showing me your ass?  It might be a nice ass, but I don't need to see it at the bar.  I'm happy for you that you might not feel so great about your body and you feel better today because everyone dresses like this.  But if you don't feel comfortable dressing like a hooker every other day of the year, you're probably on to something there.  Maybe sexy devil isn't the way to go.

And, as I will be (hopefully) learning in about an hour, I love it because I have a kid.  Aidan's going to go threaten strangers for candy for the first time this year.  He's not even two and he knew exactly what he wanted to be three weeks ago.  He's going to be Bob the Builder, from Bob the Builder.  You wouldn't not believe how hard it is to find a Bob the Builder costume.  None of the big name stores like Walmart or Target had them.  The Halloween Express was a no go.  Supposedly Party America was supposed to have some party supplies that might have worked, but they only had them online and we procrastinated to the point that I would have had to pay more for shipping that for the items themselves. 

So we found a Bartz's a few miles away.  No Bob the Builder, but he's got overalls and we can probably manage a similar looking shirt.  We got him a $2 construction hat, and we picked up some bright yellow electrical tape to wrap around cardboard and make a bright yellow tool belt.  He's gonna look awesome.  Maybe, if you're lucky, I'll put up a picture of him. :)

No comments: